Art Walk Greece 2017
Athens – Amorgos – Naxos – Santorini
October 3-15, 2017 (12 nights) $3795 – Book these dates now!
Paint the Greek Islands With Us in 2017!
Join Leslie Fehling’s sketching and watercolor program on a tour of Athens and the Greek Isles. On your Art Walk Greece vacation slow down, walk the ancient paths, and experience the authentic side of this ancient, magical land. For 12 nights, visit Athens for its history, Naxos for its pretty beaches and historic villages, Santorini for its iconic views, white-washed towns, and breathtaking sunsets; and come to Amorgos, an undiscovered gem, to enjoy this simple, lost-to-time island.
Imagine visiting the world-famous Greek Islands with a small, friendly group. Then add Leslie Fehling’s popular Art Program of sketching and watercolor classes to this picture-perfect scene. Painting in the shadow of the Acropolis, sketching one of the hundreds of little churches that dot the islands, capturing the multitude of blues between sea and sky…. there are so many beautiful opportunities to see, paint, and experience on our Art Walk Greece program.
What to Expect
The Art Walk Greece program begins with a night at our favorite Athens hotel, and an orientation walk around the Plaka and Monastiraki Square to explore this historic area. If you’d like, join us at The Loom for a taste of locally fermented mastika and to learn the rich history of Greek textiles. The next day, there’s time to visit the Acropolis and the new Acropolis museum. We’ll see the changing of the guards before our transfer to the ferry to Amorgos. Upon arrival, our rooms await us at our beautiful resort and spa hotel, each room with a private balcony overlooking the Aegean Sea.
Amorgos is an undiscovered gem with peaceful little towns spilling down the mountains, and an 11th century monastery built into the side of a cliff. It has 2,000 residents, 370 churches and 25,000 goats. Join us for sketching and watercolor classes on the hotel’s terrace overlooking the sea. We’ll have simple morning walks which are always optional. Tours of the island include the monastery, and an herbal distillery where essential oils and other products are made from the island’s natural flora. You can wander the quaint towns, walk to the beaches, or make use of the nearby dive center with kayak, snorkel and scuba options. Better yet, simply relax at the hotel, enjoying their complimentary salt-water pools, sauna, steam room, jacuzzi and gym, or treat yourself to the full range of spa services. There is plenty of opportunity to practice you art as well as relax and explore on Art Walk Greece.
After Amorgos, we travel to the island of Naxos for two nights at our lovely hotel by the beach. Wandering winding alleyways and cobbled streets, we’ll visit the Temple of Apollo and pass Venetian palaces. You’ll have time for an optional visit to Halki, the ancient capital of the island, to visit the traditional shops, artist galleries and the Vallindra Kitron distillery (the other kind of distillery!) From Naxos, we ferry to the spiraling heights of Santorini.
If your vision of Greece includes whitewashed buildings adorned with graceful blue domes, nestled atop sheer cliffs, and overlooking the bluest blue of the Aegean – you have dreamed of Santorini. Famous for remarkable views, sunsets over its flooded caldera, and world class restaurants and galleries, you will be inspired to capture details large and small with your artist’s sketchbook. On our walks we will explore the cities of Fira and Imerovigli, and for the ambitious, we’ll traverse the island’s ridge to the charming village of Oia. Optional activities include visiting a winery to sample delicious local wines while learning about the unique methods of cultivation on this arid island, or tour the fascinating Minoan site of Akrotiri, an ancient city frozen in time by one of the largest volcanic eruptions in history and one of the most important archaeological sites in Greece. Another popular choice is cruising through the caldera by sea and watching the sun set beyond Oia before returning to shore.
*** Please note, our tour begins in Athens on October 3th and ends in Santorini October 15th where you may book additional nights, catch a ferry onward to other islands, or a quick flight back to Athens to meet your flight home. (Onward travel is not included.)
Art Walk Greece Includes
- Full program of art classes set in beautiful locations
- Full range of island tours and activities
- Carefully selected, wonderful hotels
- Hearty buffet breakfasts daily
- Welcome and farewell dinners
- All ferries between the islands
- Transfers to and from all ferries
- Friendly and fun small-groups tours
- Itineraries exclusive to The Blue Walk
- Optional guided morning walks
- Fully escorted and hosted throughout
- All hotel taxes and service fees included
- Suitable for all fitness levels – walks are included, but optional
- A night at our friendly 4-star hotel in Syntagma Square, the heart of the city
- Orientation walk through Athens’ famous Plaka and Monastiraki areas
- Guided walk in the National Gardens
- View the changing of the guards
- Transfers from hotel to Piraeus for ferry
- Six nights at our gorgeous Spa hotel, all rooms with private balconies, sea views
- A mix of morning and evening yoga classes in our private open air shala overlooking the Aegean
- Incredibly peaceful, relaxing island
- Welcome dinner
- Family-owned hotel restaurant features organic produce from their gardens.
- Full program of island touring including transportation
- Greek music night
- Morning seaside guided walks
- Optional hiking on Amorgos’ extensive network of marked hiking trails
- Visit to the Cliffside Monastery
- Visit to the herbal distillery
- Arrival and departure transfers
- Full range of spa amenities included
- Two nights at our beautiful hotel by St. George Beach
- Morning yoga classes on the beach
- Visit to the Temple of Apollo
- Optional distillery tour
- Round Trip transfers hotel – ferry
- Three nights at our favorite central hotel in Santorini
- Morning yoga with a view to the sea
- Orientation and daily walks to discover the island’s hidden gems and spectacular views
- Bus trip to Akrotiri and winery tour
- Waterfront farewell dinner
- Optional caldera sunset sailing tour
- Arrival and departure transfers
Where in the World?
Art Walk Greece begins in Athens and spends most of our time island hopping through the Cyclades. The Cyclades is a group of Greek islands, southeast of the mainland in the Aegean Sea. The islands are known for their beaches, ancient sites, rugged landscapes and traditional blue-and-white stucco towns overlooking the sea.